The Belgian Geographical Centre in Walhain
Inaugurated on 22 August 1998, is located at 'Le Tiège' in Nil-Saint-Vincent (Walhain). It is embodied by a metallic sculpture, which is the work of the architect Bernard Defrenne.
The triangle represents Belgium, the three pylons symbolise the three regions, the pyramid indicates the place and the metal tube pointing to the sky marks the precise centre whose coordinates are: Latitude : 50° 38’ 28 ’’ North, Longitude : 04° 40’05’’ East.
In 1919, the municipality of Ittre was conferred the title of geographical centre of Belgium. However, a few months later, the Treaty of Versailles enlarged Belgium with the annexation of Saint-Vith, Eupen and Malmédy. But is was only in 1995 that the French National Geographic Institute redid the calculation, which was confirmed by its Belgian counterpart the following year.